Sunday, February 16, 2014

Dinner- Our Daily Bread (France)

Our Daily Bread in Blacksburg, VA is a French inspired bakery and bistro. In the evenings, they have a dinner menu full of quaint items like duck, rabbit and chicken fricassee. With these dishes, ODB serves some marvelous French wines. 


I went to this restaurant on a whim with two of my friends, Bri and Bryce. The restaurant is a two minute drive from my apartment. I've often gone to the restaurant for lunch and baked goods, but before this trip, I had never had their wine. The ordering process was not something I particularly enjoyed. Instead of a waiter coming to the table and taking my order, I had to stand in line, order and I was given a number to put on the table for the waiter to know where to bring the food. This did not impress me. If I'm going to pay $25 for a dinner, I should be waited on properly. Perhaps this is how real French restaurants work?
While the ordering style was unimpressive, at least the number was on an adorable wooden spoon!
Bryce and me with our order spoons. If we hadn't decided to go last minute, I would have been wearing a much cuter outfit! :(

On to the food! I enjoyed the selection of food. It was not overwhelming like some menus can be. The wine menu, however, was extremely long and very overwhelming. However, I guess part of being an adult is being able to make decisions for yourself. Ugh!
The wine menu was long and overwhelming. It's not exactly what a wine novice wants to see. 
The food menu was simple with few choices and many unique dishes.
Here is the break down of the food and wine:

Sourdough bread appetizer! DELICIOUS!
We began with an amazing appetizer! I know most restaurants bring out bread before a meal, but ODB takes this practice to a whole new level! Their sourdough bread made me want to cry from joy! Surprisingly, the waiter delivered the bread to our table. To his dismay, we had him deliver a basket three different times. It was just that good. 






2012 Rosé d'Anjou, Champteloup


The first wine we tried was a 2012 Rosé d'Anjou from Champteloup. It was made with a blend of rosé grapes, comes in a 750mL bottle and had 10.5% alcohol content. I smelled nodes of peach, cherry and apricot in the nose. The body was light and the mid pallet seemed hollow. The finish was smooth. The overall flavor of this wine was peach. When I tried this with food, the tastes of alcohol and peach intensified.

2012 Muscadet Sevré et Maine, Chateau de la Chesnaie









The second wine was a 2012 Muscadet Sevre et Maine from Chateau de la Chesnaie. It was made with 100% muscadet grapes, comes in a 750mL bottle and has 12% alcohol content. On the nose, I smelled citrus, peach and melon. The primary pallet had a strong taste of orange followed by a smokey mid pallet. The finish was smooth. When I tried this wine with food, the finish was harsher and there was a new taste of lemon in the mid pallet.

2012 Cote du Rhone, Domaine de Grange de Payan

 The last wine of the evening was a 2012 Cote du Rhone from Domaine de Grange de Payan. This wine is made from an unspecific blend of red Rhone grapes. It comes in a 750mL bottle and has an alcohol content of 11%. The nose of this wine had hints of blackberry that were overwhelmed by a sharp acid sensation. This wine had a low content, giving it a watery feel. The overall body was light. The taste of this wine was smoke, which was very disappointing after I had smelled the blackberries in the nose. When I tried this wine with food, the smoke taste just increased. I would not try this wine again. 
Duck with a Balsamic Glaze











The meal I had was a duck balsamic glaze with sides of mashed potatoes and fired sweet potatoes. The duck was a little tough but not as gamey as I expected. I really enjoyed the sweet potatoes.


Overall I enjoyed the dinner! My favorite wine was the Muscadet. I would definitely drink it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment