Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dinner- Sal's (Italian)

Front View of Sal's
Sal's Italian Restaurant has actually been ranked the number one restaurant in Blacksburg, VA for many years. Though I had been to Sal's many times before, I had never been as a 21 year old wine drinker. Since I absolutely love their cannolis, I thought it was about time to see if I would love their wine as well.

After a long Thursday filled with tests and stress, my friends Bri, Bryce and I sat down at Sal's to enjoy an authentic Italian meal complete with copious amounts of alcohol. The atmosphere was delightful! I really enjoy the artwork they have around the restaurant.
Window inside of Sal's
Unlike our previous dinner, the wine menu at Sal's did not intimidate me. There were just the right amount of choices. (And perhaps I've just gotten more adapt at reading and understanding wine menus.)

Wine Menu

We each chose a different dish and wine for dinner. 

Bryce's Linguini and Meatballs
Bri's Spicy Rigitoni and Sausage
My Grilled Chicken Wrap 

From left to right: Borgo Pinot Grigio, Boneyard Rosé, Borgo Chardonnay
The Borgo Pinot Grigio was made from 100% Pinot Grigio in the Friuli-Venezia region of Italy. It  was bottled in 2012 in 750mL bottles. It had a 12% alcohol content. It had a citrus, mango nose and a light body. The finish was a little choppy but overall enjoyable. When paired with food, the choppiness of the finish subsided and the overall flavor of citrus enhanced. 

The Boneyard Rosé was made from 65% Cabernet Franc, 25% Merlot, 10% Syrah in Leesburg, VA. It felt good to support the Virginia economy with this meal. The wine was bottled in 2012 in 750mL bottles. It had an 11% alcohol content. The nose on this wine had hints of melon, pineapple and floral aromas. The finish was very smooth. When paired with food, notes of orange blossom became apparent. 

The Borgo Chardonnay was made from 100%  Chardonnay in the Friuli-Venezia region of Italy. It was bottled in 2012 in 750mL bottles. It had an 11% alcohol content. The nose had hints of vanilla and apple. Overall the wine was very crisp with the major flavor being a red apple without the skin. This wine also had a bit of a sparkle to it, making it a bit more fun to drink. When paired with food this wine lost some of its carbonation which was disappointing. 

I enjoyed this experience. My favorite wine that we tried was the Chardonnay. The Rose was too sweet and the Pinot Grigio was too harsh. Just like Goldie Locks, I prefer things right in the middle, where the Chardonnay was. 
Bri and I (before all the wine was gone)


We almost forgot to take pictures of our dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment