Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tasting- Santa Duc Gigondas

Name: Santa Duc Gigondas
Variety: 75% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre and 15% Syrah/Cinsault Blend
Region: Rhone Valley
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $44

Winery review: A more limited cuvee, the 2011 Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues is a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvedre. Yves Gras implemented a strict selection in this more challenging vintage and the result is an intense, full-bodied wine boasting abundant blue and black fruit notes intermixed with hints of camphor, incense and lead pencil shavings. Surprisingly full for a 2011, it achieved 16% natural alcohol.

My review: The nose of this wine smelled like dry potting soil and pure alcohol. It definitely did not have an "inviting" scent. Surprisingly, the acid content was low and the mid pallet was almost enjoyable. The finish was over peppered and made me wish my tonsils could sneeze. Perhaps this wine would have been better had I tried it with a steak. (Side note- I feel like all wine tastings should include free steak.)

I tried this wine without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment